So I upgraded and as always everything breaks. Here are the kinks I experienced so far and what I did about them.
- Synaptic dies with an error message:
jan@jan-x61 ~ % sudo synaptic
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
I did nothing about it, after I learned Synaptic was dropped I started switching to the Software Center. Why not, if this is supposed to be the future for Ubuntu? No problem for me.
- Alexandria entirely dropped out of the package servers. No wonder because its development stalled a while ago and it needs a couple of deprecated libraries. The alternatives are GCstar (Gnome) and Tellico (KDE). Although I despise KDE and prefer Gnome and both programs offer import from Alexandria databases, I had to use Tellico because GCstar crashes on the import.
- The new Nautilus keyboard navigation sucks. When you start typing the name of a folder the previous behaviour was to show a little textbox on the bottom right corner containing what you typed so far until you clicked somewhere else or hit Escape. Now this little box disappears only milliseconds after typing and you can't see what you typed.
Also the text is kept in the buffer when changing folders which means you have to hit Escape before keying in the name of the next sub-folder you want to go to.
Lastly when entering a new folder it doesn't have the focus, so you have to click into it once or hit Home to give the new folder contents focus so keyboard navigation works.
- The arrow down key in the dash doesn't work anymore. Instead of going down and allowing me to select the icon I want to start the cursor stays in the search box. I really liked using a combination of keywords and arrow keys to find my program. For example to start synaptic I wold enter 'syn' in the dash and the go down once and to the twice to the right to select synaptic and enter to start it. Now I'm forced to give the icon area focus to select the proper icon first.
- Totem stopped playing Quicktime videos, but VLC works. Totem tries finding plugins and installing them, but it always says it couldn't find any plugins or the plugins are already installed. This is a pure configuration issue with the old config prior to the upgrade. Bug #856988 describes a workaround, which worked fine for me: